Sunday, November 18, 2018

Bird orchids

It is late spring here in central Victoria on my 'bush block'. It's been a drier season than usual but not as dry as a lot of eastern Australia. We have had approx 30mm of rain this month. Most of it was a down pour over an hour or so of 22mm. So it is reasonably green.

Unlike many bush blocks in my area I don't graze, burn or slash the forest under-story. Where many people fear leaf litter and plant debris, considering it fuel that may imperil their life if an uncontrolled fire comes through, I see leaf litter and plant debris (bark, twigs and branches) as a vital component of biodiversity. Debris makes habitat and breaks down to create a soil ecosystem that feeds plants and animals and makes everything healthy.
Improving biodiversity with leaf litter
I have some magnificent patches of bird orchids at the moment. Thankfully the local grazers (feral and native) swamp wallabies, grey kangaroos and hares don't find them delicious.
Bird Orchid Chiloglottis valida
Taller Bird Orchid possibly Chiloglottis trapeziformis
Since 1970 humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals birds reptiles and fish.
(Living Planet Report - WWF)

I'm guardian to 6 acres of reasonably high quality forest. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to do no harm. My recipe:
  • I only use a small portion of it for my own home, garden and livestock (5 chickens).
  • Slow down water that moves across the landscape, this replenishes soil moisture and avoids erosion. I do this with earth barriers or logs and debri.
  • Allow habitat corridors so that animals can move freely across the landscape.
  • Leave lots of logs and fallen branches to become homes for bugs and other larger creatures
  • Be a good host. Provide water bowls for birds. Don't use barb wire fences that bats, possums, kangaroos and wallabies can get entangled in.
  • Avoid using pesticides and herbicides that can impact through the ecosystem in damaging ways.
I have about 12 very old trees, I'd guess 100- 200 years old that are full of hollows used by a variety of animals. The noisiest and most notable are sulphur crested cockatoos, corellas, kookaburra, possums and ducks. These trees are mostly in decline with replacements still 50-150 years away.

Some other lovely things...
Native Bluebell Wahlenbergia sp

Flowering native Milkmaid lilies Burchardia sp

7 comments:

  1. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. aluminum bird aviary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. read more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. le miracle de la grossesse lisa olson pdf gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. view more

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... learn more

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. Click here

    ReplyDelete